Sunday, December 20, 2009

Bus stop. Two people, standing (outside), looking at an advertisement of a frigid tundra (in front of them). #1 wears wool socks, boots, a hat, shorts. #2 wears shorts, white socks.

#1: Burrrr. Burr, it’s so cold out, ain’t it?
#2: Oh, oh, ain’t it?
#1: Oh it’s chilly, chilly, chilly.
#2: Yes, yes. I can even see my breath.
#1: Worst thing about being cold is that feeling you get in the fingers. I can’t even move them when I’m this cold!
#2: (nodding)Oh I agree, I agree. No, no, I really can’t stand my ears.
#1: That’s what hats are for!
#2: My hair gets messed up. My hair is all I’ve got left in this world, it’s all I’ve got left.
#1: Hey, how ‘bout this. You wear a hat, then go to a mirror every time right after you take it off and re-adjust your hair. And if no mirror, just keep the hat on.
#2: I don’t look good in hats. I look good with my hair showing.
#1: Oh geez.
#2: Oh geez, yes, it is absolutely freezing out right now. I just don’t understand how it can be this cold. Can you?
#1: Nope, never.
#2: It’s been too, too long since I’ve been this cold. Makes you think, don’t it? When’s the last time you’ve been so cold… when’s the last time you’ve been so warm, as a matter of fact . You just can’t think about being hot when it’s as cold as it is now.
#1: No question.
#2: All I can think about is my retched hands. I can’t move them! I can’t feel my ears, either.
#1: You really know it’s bad when your feet get cold.
#2: Oh, no kidding. My toes are just as rigid as my fingers right now. Can’t move ‘em, can’t move ‘em. Can’t move my fingers either.
#1: Tell you what, you need a good pair of boots. No, good pair of socks. Nice wool ones.
#2: I’ve been wearing the same white socks ever since I was ten, I’m not about to wear anything else!
#1: I’m buying you some nice wool socks. Tell you what, that’s what I’m going to do. Soon’s I get my car fixed, I’m going straight to the store, buying you some wool socks.
#2: Good, maybe my son could use them.
#1: You’re so goddam cynical, you know that?
#2: Well how can’t you be, when it’s this goddam cold out? Eh, eh?
#1: I couldn’t agree more. My fingers, I just can’t move my fingers. Goddam toes too. You ever realize your sense of smell stops working when it’s this fuckin’ cold out?
#2: Yeah, yeah, no kiddin’, can’t smell a thing! Can’t taste a thing either, can’t taste a thing!
#1: Goddam fingers.
#2: Goddam toes!
#1: Bus.

(#1, #2 exit. Finished.)

No comments:

Post a Comment